Frequently Asked Questions

How do I request public records?

According to Chapter 119 of the Florida Statues, it is not required that you submit a form or written request; however, use of the form provides for easy distribution of said request. Also, as a requester, you may remain anonymous when making a request; if you so choose, you then become responsible for contacting the Clerk’s Office to follow up on the request.

To request a public record, you may:

In order to access your records or view the status of a public records request, please use our Public Request Portal (Request Number required).

The City Clerk furnishes copies of public records upon request and payment of the fees as set forth herein:

  • $0.15 per one-sided copy for duplicated copies of not more than 14 inches by 8 1/2 inches;
  • An additional $0.05 cents for each two-sided copy; and
  • For all other copies, the actual cost of duplication of the public record.
  • $1.00 shall be charged for providing a certified copy of the requested record.

Please note: If the nature or volume of the public records requested to be inspected or copied pursuant to this subsection is such as to require extensive use of information technology resources or extensive clerical or supervisory assistance by personnel of the City, or both, the City shall charge, in addition to the actual cost of duplication, a special service charge, which shall be reasonable and shall be based on the cost incurred for such extensive use of information technology resources or the labor cost of the personnel providing the service that is actually incurred by the City or attributable to the City for the clerical and supervisory assistance required, or both. A request that requires more than 15 minutes of information technology resources or clerical time shall be deemed to be extensive for the purpose of this section. The estimated cost of extensive research and copying must be paid in advance; any differences will be collected or refunded when the material is picked up.

How do I get appointed to an Advisory Board?

There are a number of advisory boards that provide information to staff and the Commission in various areas. If you are interested in volunteering your time, please see the Advisory Boards page for specific advisory board information and the board application.

Can I have documents notarized at the City Clerk’s Office?

Per Ordinance No. 2011/024, a charge of $5.00 shall be assessed for each notarial act requested by the public and performed by a city official or employee of the City of Deerfield Beach; however, the City does NOT notarize the following documents: 

  •  photographs
  •  copies of birth certificates, or any other vital record or public record
  •  the translation of a document from one language to another
  •  we do not provide signature guarantees
  •  the authenticity of objects, such as art or sports memorabilia
  •  we do not judge contests or certify contest results
  •  we do not certify a person’s residency or citizenship status
  •  legal documents, or immigration papers
  • any document an employee or city official is uncomfortable with notarizing

When are Municipal Elections held?

The Deerfield Beach Commission is a five-member body elected for a four (4) year term; however, the terms are staggered and elections are held every two (2) years. The next election will be March 2023, for election of the Commissioners of District 1 and 2.

Also, every four (4) years, the Deerfield Beach Charter requires redistricting for population consistency throughout the districts, which often changes district boundary lines.

How do I qualify as a City Commission/Mayoral candidate?

Mayor: Any qualified Broward County elector whose principal place of residence is in the City of Deerfield Beach and who has resided continuously in the City for six (6) months immediately prior to qualifying as a candidate for the office shall be eligible to hold the office of mayor. The Mayor must continue to live within the city limits during the term of office or forfeit the office.

Commissioner: Any qualified Broward County elector whose principal place of residence is in the City of Deerfield Beach and who has resided continuously in the City for six (6) months immediately prior to qualifying and in the district from which he seeks to qualify prior to qualifying as a candidate for the office shall be eligible to hold the Office of City Commissioner. During the term of office, a commissioner must continue to live within the district from which he or she was elected or forfeit the office.  

For additional information regarding the qualifying process, please see the City Charter.

What’s on a Commission Agenda?

The City Commission agenda consists of items prepared by Staff for Commission consideration. These items include, but are not limited to, rezoning, variances, advisory board appointments, agreements, purchases and a plethora of other topics. 

Commission meetings are held on the first and third Tuesdays of each month at 7:00 p.m., however, there is only one (1) meeting held in July. The meetings are held in the Commission Chambers on the first floor of City Hall: 150 NE 2nd Avenue, Deerfield Beach, FL 33441.

How can I speak at a City Commission Meeting?

Meetings Open To Public: All meetings of the City Commission shall be open to the public and conducted in a manner consistent with the Sunshine Law; provided that, certain attorney client sessions, as permitted by Section 286.011, F.S., and meetings relating to collective bargaining issues, as permitted by Section 447.605 shall be permitted to be conducted in private.

Public to be heard - Non-Agenda Issues: During the Public Comment section of the agenda, anyone may speak for three (3) minutes on any matter relating to the business of the City or public policy, excluding matters on the agenda, and a one (1)  minute extension may be granted by the Mayor. All persons speaking on non-agenda issues shall be subject to the following rules:              

  • The speaker must come to the podium and first state his/her name, address and name of the organization if she/he represents an organization.
  • All remarks shall be related to City business issues or matters of public policy.
  • No loaning or transferring of minutes shall occur.
  • Redundant comments are deemed to have a dilatory effect on the expeditious and orderly progress of the meeting and are not allowed.
  • The speaker shall only address the Commission.

Can residents add items to the Commission agenda?

Yes, however, any requests to add an Agenda Item must be submitted to the City Manager’s Office for consideration. There is no guarantee that all resident requests will appear on the agenda; whereby, if Staff is able to resolve a situation, they will do so before submitting to the City Commission.

How do I request a Proclamation?

A proclamation recognizes an organization or cause that affects a large number of citizens.  To request a proclamation, please see the guidelines and form: Proclamation Request.

Can I apply for a passport at City Hall?

No, however the United States Postal Service’s local office schedules passport appointments.  Their address is 212 E Hillsboro Blvd, Deerfield Beach, FL 33441 and phone number is 954-412-0812.